After completing the game once (beating the Champion and saving after the credits), head to the Sycamore's Pokemon Lab in Lumiose City. Go to the second floor and talk to the researcher to the right, in front of a machine. He'll give you a Poke Radar which will tell you if a Pokemon is hiding in the grass. He'll tell you about the “target Pokemon for the day”.
is also the invaluable friend of Shiny Pokemon Hunters. Shinies are very rare version of ordinary Pokemon with no notable stat, nature or ability advantages. But since they're so rare, finding and capturing one becomes some trainers' bragging rights or even trading “currency”.
Important Notes when using the Poke Radar to Chain Encounters:
- For easier access, register it.
- Chaining encounters means that you must encounter the same Pokemon over and over again. You must capture or defeat the Pokemon that you encounter. Escaping from it breaks the chain. That said, you have to keep your PP up. Use your PP Restoring Power too.
- The Poke Radar needs to be charged after each use. However, you need to charge it by walking 50 steps. If you want to chain your encounters, you have to use Repel to avoid other encounters from breaking your chain while walking around to charge the radar.
- You don't have to use the Poke Radar every time. After every battle, the grass will still shake. However, if all the grass that shook doesn't fall in the preferred category, you can walk away and avoid those, recharge the radar then use it again.
- Do not bring eggs. If they hatch, they'll break the chain as well.
- You must use it while walking. Not on skates or while biking. You'll notice that if you start a chain, the background music will change. If you accidentally equipped the skates, the area's original background music will return. That means you have to start your chain again. This also applies if you accidentally used another item or equipment – or encountered a different Pokemon.
- After using the Poke Radar, the grass near you will shake. Always go for the grass that's farthest (at least four spaces) from you. Do not go to the grass that's near the edges or cliffs. Do not go in the grass that's shaking slowly. Do not go to the grass that's in the corners. Do not go to the grass beside another shaking grass. And most importantly, go for the FASTEST shaking grass.
- You have to use it on a very large area grass or flower patch. Examples are the fields in Route 5, Route 6, hidden island in Azure Bay and the Pokemon Village.