How to use a USB Flash Drive on the Xbox 360
Published by SuperCheats Staff on Aug 22nd 2013
You can use a USB flash drive up to 32GB. You can purchase official Xbox 360 pre-formatted 8GB or 16GB (32GB not available) flash drives from Sandisk
or use another brand and format it on your own. This is a great option to backup your game important data and a good alternative versus the proprietary Xbox 360 Memory Unit. You can only plug two USB flash drives into the console at a time.
You won't be able to view or access the saved console data on a computer as they'll just appear as chunks of data with fixed file names. You can still browse the data but you can't do anything about them.
Note: You won't be able to use the full capacity since a small part of the storage will be reserved for system use.
A Pre-formatted USB flash driveImage source
Xbox 360 Memory UnitImage source:
You can store the following data in the formatted USB flash drive:
- Xbox game data (saves and installation files)
- Themes, icons, avatar items, DLCs, demos, trailers
- Arcade titles
- Facebook and Twitter pages
- Xbox 360 full games
- Xbox 360 Games on Demand
The following content can't be installed or transferred in the USB flash drive:
- Music files like MP3 and WMA
- Original Xbox games
- Your console's firmware should be updated. Older firmwares won't be able to support USB flash drives.
- Your USB flash drive should have the capacity of at least 1GB. For better performance, it is recommended to dedicate this flash drive only for the console.
- You should format the USB flash drive to a Windows FAT32 file system
Configuring the USB Flash Drive
- Plug the USB flash drive in a free USB port in front of your console
- Press the Guide button, then go to Settings then System Settings.
- Select Storage or Memory then choose the USB Storage Device.
- Select Configure Now or Customize
: Wipes out all the data in the USB flash drive and configures it for Xbox 360 use.
Note: If the USB flash drive doesn't have at least 1GB free space available, you won't be able to proceed further.
: Configures a portion of a USB flash drive for Xbox use (up to 32GB)
- Move the slider to select the amount of storage space you want to allocate for Xbox use.
- Select Configure
- Wait for the test to finish. If it successfully completes, your flash drive is ready for use.