Time Trials - Mario Kart Wii
Time Trials allow you to set the best possible time for any given course. You can race alone, or compete against a Ghost to see who scores better.
A Ghost is a recording of a player that has played the course before and got a really good time on it. You can race against it to see who has the better tactic. Ghosts cannot interfere with you, nor can you it.
You look like you've seen a ghost...
In Time Trials, there are no item blocks. You start with 3 mushrooms and that's all you get.
You may be wondering “Why would I want to do this? It sounds like a pain...” and you'd be right, it's a pain. However, this is the fastest way to unlock a lot of the characters (this, or play 5,000 Grand Prix races). Plus, you get bragging rights.
Now, in order to unlock characters, you have to get a REALLY good time. Doing this unlocks the “Expert” Staff Ghosts. The Expert Staff Ghosts have times that you wouldn't believe on some tracks. Luckily, you don't have to beat the ESG, just unlock them. Beating them just gives you bragging rights.
- The best vehicles to use are the Heavy class. They have insane top speeds, and since there is nothing to slow you down (unless you go off course), you can reach top speed and hold it for the entire race.
- Perfect the start boost. It can shave a few seconds off your time, and helps off-set the heavy vehicles low acceleration.
- Learn ALL the shortcuts. You'll need them.
- Perfect your drift boosts. It's a little different with heavy vehicles, so if you're not used to them it'll take some time to get just right.
- Practice. Practice. Practice. This isn't something you can do a night before a party in hopes of unlocking all characters. This is going to take time. You'll often have to go over the same track a good 10 times before you even get close to a good time.
Below, you'll find a list of the time requirements to unlock an Expert Staff Ghost. Note that the times could be off by a second in either direction. The exact times are hard to get, obviously.
Luigi Circuit - 1:24.411
Moo Moo Meadows - 1:33.571
Mushroom Gorge - 2:05.494
Toad's Factory - 2:12.784
Mario Circuit - 1:39.183
Coconut Mall - 2:24.788
DK's Snowboard Cross - 2:24.725
Wario's Gold Mine - 2:14.932
Daisy Circuit - 1:48.791
Koopa Cape - 2:54.897
Maple Treeway - 2:50.229
Grumble Volcano - 2:19.524
Dry Dry Ruins - 2:21.681
Moonview Highway - 2:07.016
Bowser's Castle - 2:55.017
Rainbow Road - 2:59.293
GCN Peach Beach - 1:30.698
DS Yoshi Falls - 1:12.901
SNES Ghost Valley 2 - 1:03.752
N64 Mario Raceway - 2:07.915
N64 Sherbet Land - 2:37.784
GBA Shy Guy Beach - 1:39.255
DS Delfino Square - 2:33.107
GCN Waluigi Stadium - 2:24.645
DS Desert Hills - 2:01.141
GBA Bowser Castle 3 - 2:50.637
N64 DK's Jungle Parkway - 2:49.028
GCN Mario Circuit - 1:55.267
SNES Mario Circuit 3 - 1:34.828
DS Peach Gardens - 2:29.006
GCN DK Mountain - 2:50.248
N64 Bowser's Castle - 3:06.723