Ys IX Monstrum Nox is an action role-playing game played from a third-person perspective. The game features Adol Christin's adventure in the prison city of Balduq in Gllia, which takes place after Ys Seven. Adol finds himself in the middle of a prison break from the get-go. His escape leads him to a chance encounter with Aprilis, an enigmatic young lady that shoots him with a magical bullet. The shot transforms Adol into his new alter ego, a Monstrum known as the Crimson King. Ys IX Monstrum Nox is available on PlayStation 4, Switch, and PC. Take a look at our tips to get help in the game.
Ys IX Monstrum Nox Trailer
Cheat, Tips and Strategy
Got a cheat or hot tip for this game? Found a secret, or a strategy for success?
How to Heal
There are two free ways in which you can heal in Ys IX Monstrum Nox, the simplest but slowest way is to stand still whenever you are in Balduq city. The other way is to visit the nearest Relief Plate which will replenish all of your health instantly by walking over it. There are also several health-restoring items you can equip to your character which will enable you to slowly restore HP by standing still in dungeons.
If you need to heal during a battle press right on the d-pad in order to bring up the 'Items' menu. Then just select the healing item you want to use from the list that appears and then select the character you want to benefit from it. Depending on the health-restoring item you used the character will now regain some of their health. It is therefore important to make sure that before you go into battle you have stocked up on healing items. You can get many of them from the various merchants that can be found throughout the city or a cheaper option is to craft them yourself by visiting a medic. Regardless of how you get the healing items it is important that you check to make sure that what you have will restore a decent proportion of your max HP before you engage in a battle as some will restore more HP than others.
It is recommended that you prioritize the quest tasked by Parks at the Dandelion home base as this is without doubt the best quest in Ys IX Monstrum Nox when you start out. The quest Parks wants Adol to undertake will fill out the map, this basically involves revealing the black sections on the mini map by exploring them. This task will not only push you to explore, but it will enable you to find the secrets, such as the treasure chests that are scattered throughout the city. When you report back to Parks he will reward you with various bonuses.
Trying to keep Adol and his ever-increasing band of companions equipped with the best gear at all times in Ys IX Monstrum Nox is expensive. It is therefore recommended that you always equip Adol with the best equipment and give the rest of the gear as hand-me-downs to the other members of the party. It is not necessary to always buy the best gear as you will generally find decent equipment by searching the chests that are in dungeons, always do this as it will mean you can save money.
As you progress through Ys IX Monstrum Nox you will come across recipes which you can give to the bartenders at the Dandelions, who will then create meals from them (providing you give them the ingredients) that will give certain boosts to stats. Eating meals is particularly useful when you need to beef up your party before a dungeon. There are 13 meals in total, but you only have to find 12 because Flaky Baguette is already unlocked. Collecting all 13 recipes and giving them to the bartenders in a single playthough will unlock the Haute Cuisine achievement/trophy. Listed below are all the recipes and where to get them.
1) Flaky Baguette: Unlocked by default
2) Baked Potato Recipe: (Chapter 3): Talk to Benoit at Nirvana in Shantytown to get this recipe.
3) Bouillabaisse Recipe: (Chapter 4): Complete the 'One in a Bouillon' quest.
4) Roulade Recipe: (Chapter 5): Talk to Perry at Perry's Club.
5) Potage Recipe: (Chapter 5): Talk to Worker Witham in Prison Outskirts.
Note: You will have to lift the barrier to the area by defeating Central District's Grimwald Eos.
6) Gratin Recipe: (Chapter 6): Talk to Jessica at Jessica's Brewery in Entertainment District.
7) Galette Recipe: (Chapter 6 and onwards): You will find this recipe inside the chest outside Nors Shrine Ruins.
8) Mushroom Recipe: (Chapter 7): Talk to Jules's mother at Noah Residence in Noble District.
9) Smoothie Recipe: (Chapter 8): Feed Morbihan any four (of eight) of the unique preserved food listed below.
- Grim Nuts
- Nors Bleu
- Red Cheese
- Smoked Meat
- White Nuts
- Black Figs
- Dry-aged Meat
10) Quiche Recipe: (Chapter 8): You will get this recipe inside the Ciel Canyon treasure chest.
11) Platter Recipe:(Final Chapter: Talk to Jeanette at Jeanette's Memorabilia.
12) Compote Recipe: (Any Chapter): You will get this recipe as a reward for giving 40 Azure Petals to Marguerite.
13) Apple Pie Recipe: (Any Chapter): You will get this recipe as a reward for giving 110 Azure petals to Marguerite.
If you visit Sister Mel at the Balduq Cathederal in Central District and donate food she will reward you for your generosity. Sister Mel will only accept one of each dish, and you will receive the same reward regardless of whether you purchased the meal at shops around the city or by making them at the Dandelion. Listed below are all the meals you can donate along with the rewards you will receive based on how many meals you donate.
- Flaky Baguette - Baked Potato - Bouillabaisse - Mushroom Potage - Refreshing Smoothie - Hearty Galette - Asparagus Roulade - Cheese Gratin - Stuffed Mushrooms - White Quiche - Victory Day Platter - Apple Compote - Apple Pie