Your town's general area is composed of smaller units called 'acres'. It is divided into 16 acres in a 4x4 grid. Each single acre has 256 smaller areas across a 16x16 grid. These smaller places can be planted with flowers or saplings as long as it is not covered by rocks, concrete, other objects and establishments. The acres are integral in getting your Perfect Town Rating. Trees are also affected by the type of acre it can be grown at. Cedars can only grow in higher acres, coconuts only grow in the lower acres, and normal trees can grow anywhere.
Proper Management of your acres is very critical in getting a well-managed and functional town. These are the important factors that you should consider in acre management:
* 1 acre is your home location, this is determined by the initial question asked by Kapp'n during the start of the game.
* 3 acres can be used as your town gates.
* 6 acres are available for grassy areas, with each acre having 2 possible villager houses built up, replacing the grassy area.
* 1 acre is for The Museum
, which is near a pond or a rock.
* 1 acre is for The Town Hall
* 1 acre is the shopping area, housing the Able Sister's and Tom Nook's shops.
* 1 acre is for a waterfall with a river flowing out of it in 4 directional points.
* The bottom 4 acres are ocean areas, the river should be connected to one of these.